I mentioned in my last post that Smyths have some great 2 for €20 offers at the moment. One of these is 2 Potato Head Toys for €20 (normally €15 each).
I don’t think you’ll meet a speech and language therapist without a Mr. Potato Head in their bag of tricks. Here’s some of the reasons why!
Skills that can be worked:
Understanding of body Parts
- Give me the ……….
- Where’s his …………..?
Naming of body parts
- Would you like his nose or his eyes first? Offering a choice encourages your child to label the piece.
- What’s this part called?
Modelling of verbs/ actions
- Push/ pull/ wave/ fall / break
- Give Potato Head a high five.
- Blow him a kiss.
- Stick tongue out like Potato Head
- In/ on/ off
- Hi Potato Head
- Hat on
- Hand off
- Night night Potato Head
- Potato Head is smiling
Function of body parts
- What do we do with our eyes? We see.
- What do we do with our nose? We smell.
Answering ‘wh’ questions
- What does he have on his head?
- Where are his shoes?
- Why does he need a hat? Because it’s cold.
- Why does she need glasses? To see better.
- Asking for a certain piece. This is a lovely activity for a child using PECS (Picture Exchange Communication System).
- Requesting help when a piece is too hard to push in or pull out.
Copyright © 2016 Jumpstart Speech and Language Therapy